Here is what I used to wake up to in the mornings, before I got smart and secured all food. I will say that Mr. Ed has attempted a few times to knock off the glass lid to these cannisters. Thank goodness so far he has been unsuccessful. This is a horrible photo that I took one morning with my phone. I am so mad, because I actually had a picture of them eating out of the box. I must have accidentally deleted it, but you get the picture!
The photo below is a very rare moment of the two actually together unless they are up to no good!
Here is what the cannisters looked like before I lined them with the chevron fabric.
I wanted to find a way to hide the contents of the jars. I didn't want to do anything permanent, because I am always changing things up. I found the perfect solution. I used poster board and fabric to place inside the jars. This way I could change out the design whenever I wanted.
I used two different methods on each of these jars.
On the smaller jar, I used fabric stiffener before I attached it to the poster board. On the second one, I simply glued the fabric to the poster board with Elmer's Spray Adhesive Glue. It worked just as well, and made it a much faster process.
The first step was to measure the fabric height and width around the jar. I wrapped the fabric around the outside and measured it that way. I left about half an inch of extra fabric at the top and bottom.
The next step was to cut the poster board to fit the inside of the jar. I did the top of both jars differently, and I will explain that at the end of the post.
Here is a view from inside the jar. The poster board is stiff enough to hold its shape and mold to the jar. It was during this step that I decided the fabric stiffener was really unnecessary.
I cut the paper even with the curve at the top of the cannister.
Once the fabric and paper was measured and cut, I sprayed the poster board with the adhesive glue. I smoothed the fabric over the poster board. Here is where I did both cannister a little different.
On the smaller one, I cut the fabric even with the paper. It worked okay, but I didn't really like the tiny gap at the top of the jar.
I left the excess fabric on the larger cannister. I then used plain old scotch tape and bunched up the fabric to give it a ruffle look. I like this look much better, because you can't see in the jar at all.
Here's a close up of the large jar with the "ruffles" at the top of it.
I wrapped some twine around the groove of the small jar right above the fabric to help cover up the gap. On the larger jar, I just wrapped the twine a few times around the knob on the lid.
I love the pop of color in the dark section of my kitchen counter. Best of all, the bags of food are all hidden. I wish I had done this a long time ago. This whole project was done very quickly and super cheap. Especially after I decided to skip the fabric stiffener for this project.
Like I told you earlier in the post, I love to change things up often. I decided this worked so well, I want to change them out seasonally. I am almost finished with my fall look and can't wait to share that look with you!
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit! Hope you have a wonderful, blessed week!