To keep the project from being super heavy with Quikrete, I added it to a gallon plastic container that I had. Filling that huge pot was going to be very heavy and keep me from adding flowers around the base.
To make the post tall enough, I filled the plastic container about 3/4 full of the Quikrete and let that set. Then I added the steel pole, and filled the rest of the container with the Quikrete around the pole. My steel rod was actually an old closet rod. It worked perfect, because it is very sturdy. PVC pipe would work, too.
Here is a photo of the post once it was set in the concrete. My special helper is always on the lookout.
I chose Rust-Oleum in black with a Hammered finish to paint the pole. I love the Hammered finish on the pole. That was the first time I've used this spray paint, and I was very happy with the look.
Once the pole was dry, I placed it in the flower pot and filled it with potting soil. I did add some gravel to the base of the pot for drainage, before filling with the soil.
I added on one extension rod to each of the light post hooks that came with the set, and then used black cable ties to form the "pole" at the top and keep the light hooks together.
I placed one of the plastic pipes that came with the lightening set to make it the height that I wanted. This piece was actually to be used for placing the lights in the ground.
I couldn't believe the plastic piece fit perfectly over the steel post. After assembling all of the hooks and lights, I placed them in the plastic piece at the top of the pole.